Thursday, June 25, 2009

Discovering the Perfect Dad

Posted by Laureen at Thursday, June 25, 2009
Last Sunday I had a great time with the Sunday School Preteens in the church. There were 23 pre teens who attended. Since it was Father's Day my topic was about "Discovering the Perfect Dad". Before I started my discussion, I asked each one of them to finish the sentence, "I love/like my father because.... ". I was astonished with the different answers that I received. These are the following:

" I love/ like my father because.."

... he gives me PSP, t-shirt, skateboards, provides things in school etc.
... He disciplines us
... He does everything for us.
... "I love my father so much..." then he burst into tears.
... I can tell my Dad my problem. " ( that's from my Renzee, my nephew)

The next question I threw to them was " Why do we get frustrated when our father's don't meet our expectations ? and " Why is it that sometimes we feel that our father's don't love us.?" There was a silence for a while then again my nephew confidently answered, "It's because fathers have different expressions of love." Its true that's why other kids think that their father only as a good provider but many of them long for their affections. Others thought they have their father's full attentions but he can not provide the best for them. Others don't like how their fathers discipline them but it does not mean that they do not love them.

There are fathers who just follow how they were brought up by their parents and maybe they think that is the only way or the right way to bring up the kids. There are fathers who simply do not know how to express their love. Bottom line they are not perfect.

If we want a perfect Dad, we need to accept Jesus as our Lord and personal Savior. Gal. 4:4-7 "But when the right time come, God sent His son, born of a woman, subject to do the law. God sent Him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. And because you gentiles have become his children, God has sent the spirit of His Son into your hearts, and now you can call God our dear Father. Now you are no longer a slave but God's own child and since you are his child, everything he has belongs to you."

WE have an opportunity to call him Daddy:
---He is not only able to provide for us but
---He is someone who is willing to listen anything you want to tell him big or small problems.
---He loves us so much regardless of who we are - a sinner.

What's more? If you seek love and affection from your Dad or you think he is not trying his best to provide for the family or whatever problem you may have with the relationship with your Dad, there's a Good news! God can fix that too.

Then, I gave them a few minutes to talk to God in prayers after that I prayed for them.

I hope I was able to do my part and God will do the rest.

2 comments:

From the Heart on June 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM said...

Thanks for visiting my blog on WFW. That was my first time.

Your blog is beautiful. You have chosen a great age (preteens) to teach. If they get the hearts set on Jesus now their teenage years will be so much better.
Blessings

Genefaith on June 25, 2009 at 11:28 PM said...

thanks for sharing..i learned something...

Post a Comment

 

Words From My Heart... Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting